Saturday, October 17, 2009

Animal stuffing!



Big kids, little kids, nannies, the animal stuffing was a BIG hit! I wish with my whole heart that I had access to a kiln here. How I would love to do pottery painting or clay with these kids. They are like creative volcanos, ready to erupt!
Today we arrived early and played with some of the younger kids for a few hours. We brought a jumprope, a nerf football (big hit) memory games and markers. We colored and played. For me, the most poignant moment of the day was when a child asked our translator if they were going to be allowed to keep the animals after they were stuffed. When we said yes, they were so happy.

Cynthia and I have been waiting all year to see Hong, Hang, and Duyen, the kids we have been corresponding with for the last year. In the moment that we finally saw them, I knew that all of the effort was so worth it. It was an emotional reunion, even with the stoic Vietnamese reserve. I am so grateful to my family for allowing me to keep my promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment