Thursday, October 8, 2009

Welcome to our blog!

Click here for Bonnie's 2008 Vietnam blog, for some background.

Visit the greatest organization for PYOP owners on the planet!

Visit Bonnie's Mud Monkey website!

Visit Jenn's Paint Yourself Silly Website!

Hi guys! Thanks for visiting our blog! We are going to travel to the other side of the world and hang out with some of the greatest kids! They live in a remote area of Vietnam in a tiny orphanage. There are 24 kids and 12 infants total. Thanks to a few generous donations, the kids are getting a new computer, (and maybe two!) tutoring, a fun daytrip to some springs, and a shopping trip! These are things most kids in the US get as an entitlement, but just the shopping trip will be a first for many of the kids we are going to see.
Adoptions are closed for now in Vietnam. We can't do much for the kids, but, we can go create art, play, shop, and have fun with them!
Last summer, a friend went to this orphanage to adopt a child. I went along to help. I did not expect to meet children there that would forever occupy a place in my heart and mind, but that is what happened. I promised I would come back and I am keeping that promise. The computer and the shopping and the fun are all wonderful things for the children. But what I am hoping for is that the children will be profoundly impacted by the simple fact that we came back. There are a few young ladies in particular that I hope will feel empowered by that.. In the life before them, they face so many challenges as orphans in a country that values family connections. When the time comes to make choices in their adulthood, when they are on their own, I want them to understand that they are important, their lives mean something. People flew all the way around the world, just to see them. We hope to provide them with some support; educational and through friendship, that will illuminate more choices for them.
The group traveling consists of me, Jenn, and Cynthia. Cynthia was also on the trip last year. She has a separate blog about her goals for the trip, which I will post when I find out what the name is. Cynthia and I have traveled all over the world together, for more almost 30 years. Jenn is a colleague and fellow CCSA member. I asked her if she wanted to go over 6 months ago, and she decided YES! I can't wait..I mean I CAN'T WAIT!! to unfurl the force of the amazing Jenn on those kids!!! They are gonna get so wrapped up in JennMagic!
Thanks for reading! We will start posting soon! Blast off date is October 13rd to LA, Oct 14 to Vietnam!


Bonnie at the care center, 2008

Jenn and her beautiful daughter, Tuesday

Cynthia and Duyen

3 comments:

  1. I have goosebumps! What an amazing thing ya'll are doing. One day I would love to do something so selfless and wonderful as ya'll are. Blessings to you!

    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will be following your journey and adventures from the UK, hope you have the best time and look forward to sharing it with you through your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an inspiring story. I look forward to following your journey. It sounds like these girls need some luck and they got some with the 3 of you coming into their lives. I'm sending lots of energy for safe travels. Love, Mary Lou (Jenn's mama)

    ReplyDelete